Friday 20 November 2009

Wednesday 18th...

On Wednesday we drove out to Sanibel Island to meet up with the Skellern clan with the intention being to hire bikes from Billy's. Lucy & I arrived at 10am and hired ourselves single-speed bikes, setting off in a northerly direction in search of wildlife.

Lucy insists I go first


On our ride we came across a family of raccoons along the cycle path, but before our fingers had touched the cameras in our baskets, the critters had taken refuge in the undergrowth. Further along our ride I managed to spot a small tortoise / turtle (the debate begins), and only a few hundred yards along the trail we spotted a much larger tortoise / turtle, which, having done a very small amount of research, we believe to be a Gopher Tortoise.

Gopher Tortoise?


Having almost completed one circuit of the designated cycle trail, we bumped into Peter heading in our direction. We decided to tag along for 20 minutes or so of cycling before heading back to Billy's to return our bikes.

We met up with the rest of the clan and walked over to the Blue Giraffe for a spot of lunch. The food was excellent, and much needed after a couple of hours in the saddle. After lunch Lucy & I said our goodbyes to the rest of the party and headed in and out of Pandora's Box, $100+ dollars lighter in pocket, but having bought a beautiful wedding gift for Lucy.

We walked to the car and drove back to our villa, packing me up and shipping me back on a return visit to Sanibel and then Captiva Island to check into the South Seas Resort, where I would be spending the night alone prior to our wedding day. At this point, the fact that Lucy & I were to wed had really not sunk in, and I was still waiting for the first butterflies to start fluttering in my stomach.

That evening the three other males of the party, Dad Fish, Dad Skellern and Steven drove over to the resort to dine at the Harbourside Bar & Grill. Peter & I had the Mogolian pork chop, and Dad & Steven ate the grouper ... both meals were exquisite, and hopefully well worth the hour plus drive over from Cape Coral that Steven had to make.

[Meanwhile - back at Villa Skellern ... I tucked into an Italian takeaway with the ladies. After we'd eaten I was presented with a book which had been put together and sent over by my oldest & dearest friend Cath, who unfortunately was not able to join us in Florida. The book was a collection of photos from my hen weekend in Leeds, accompanied by messages from all the girls who attended. It was a lovely surprise and brought a tear to my eye. Posted by Lucy]

Lucy enjoys the photo album sent by Cath


Shortly after 10:30pm having gazed at some stars and attempted to identify silhouetted birds from the balcony of the room, the guys headed back to their respective villas to leave me to contemplate what would be a huge day tomorrow. Ten minutes of channel-hopping and finding nothing worth watching resulted in me climbing into bed and dropping off almost as soon as my head hit the pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment